Thursday, August 20, 2009

Calvin Lee Reeder!

So, like, awhile back I stumbled across a short film called THE RAMBLER, which was written and directed by a fellow named Calvin Lee Reeder, who I had read about a little when he was named one of Filmmaker Magazines’ 25 New Faces of Independent Film. There was something hypnotic and creepified-to-the-billionth-degree about the movie, and it was even sort of comedic. Make sure you note the "sort of" part there, because I'm sure many folks will find nothing to giggle about, which probably speaks well for your character...

He specializes in these weird short "horror movies" that play out as if you've wandered into somebody else's nightmare and get to watch their worst fears manifest. His films are also quite beautiful and use color and sound in powerful ways.

At the time, I hesitated to post THE RAMBLER on this site, because it's so incredibly disturbing. He once described it as being about "mummies and vomit". That's the kind of thing Lou Reed would say if he was trying to be cool in an interview. In the case of Mr. Reeder, he's being 100% truthful. I guess I was afraid that some kids might see it and get overly freaked out.

It hit me the other day, though (when I found out that Mr. Reeder and Co. are about to embark on a feature length project this winter-- yahoo!), that I had been somewhat hypocritical on that point since I also posted TREEVENGE not long ago, and that's about as disturbing as it gets as far as viewing by kids goes. "Good point, self," I remember thinking...

Today, then, is truly your lucky day if you have yet to experience one of Calvin's short movies. There is just something about them that defies logical explanation (for me at least). You could argue that they seem somewhat unfinished, but I feel like it's part of the charm. When was the last time you had a nightmare that ended in some neat, logical way? The open-ended nature of the following two movies really works for me-- wonder what you'll think?

Before you watch these, please keep in mind that THEY ARE NOT FOR KIDS AT ALL, so PLEASE DON'T SHOW THEM TO ANY YOUNGSTERS, and they are pretty damn disturbing. If you were weirded out by ERASERHEAD or have a low tolerance for yuck, please do yourself a favor and skip these. Dig? We won't think any less of you...

For those still interested, here is THE RAMBLER:

The Rambler from calvin reeder on Vimeo.



Yummy, eh? If you want more, how's about this one-- LITTLE FARM:

Little Farm

Man, I just love this guy's movies! I'm gonna write to him and see if he might be up for a quick interview on the blogatorium. What the heck, eh? Worst thing that can happen is he sends some poltergeists to blow up my head, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment