Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Oh, Those Crazy Canadians!

Lately, it seems, I have been having an epiphany about Canada. Turns out that those wacky extreme-northerners might just be the ones who end up saving the world of movies and movie fandom. Who would have guessed that? (Just kidding-- I'm sure Nostradamus predicted it long ago...).

Seems like every time I check out a movie website or magazine that kicks some bootangus, it turns out to be CANADIAN! What ones, you ask? Well, how's about www.joblo.com and Rue Morgue Magazine, smart aleck? Canadian! Okay, I realize that's only two examples but sometimes hyperbole is the new subtle. Got it?!

In any case, what's really got me excited about Canada right now is a Halifaxian (Halifaxiganderian?) filmmaker name of Jay Dahl, the erstwhile owner of Black Dog Films, which is a small company that makes seriously kick-ass and diverse stuff, from comedy to horror. The movie that's currently freaking me out about how good it is is their short horror piece called There Are Monsters. It's got everything I love about creepy stuff-- tons of atmosphere and smart direction, coupled with great performances and an ambiguous menace. The Zettelmaier Brothers and I all agree that the less stuff is explained, the more creepy it is. If you agree with that statement, you should enjoy this movie. (Thanks, June, for bringing this to my attention).

Here you go:

No comments:

Post a Comment